- There are three categories of ratings- deck, engine room and saloon (Catering). Deck rating is responsible for cargo handling, Mooring / unmooring and general maintenance of the ship.
- Similarly the engine room ratings assist the engineering officers in maintenance and operation of engines and associated equipment.
- The catering crew consists of Steward / Cooks and as the name suggests, they look after the catering and the house keeping.
- On successful completion of this Pre – Sea training, the candidates will be able to join as a RATING in Indian & Foreign shipping companies as a Deck Crew or Engine Crew.
- The G.P.Rating candidate will be able to work in all seamanship activities on-board at deck side and other work at Engine side.
- With further Sea-service, they will be promoted as DECK SERANG, BOSUN, Able-Bodied Seamen / Engine Fitter etc., They can also be promoted to officer Level with certain service and qualification requirements.
In the modern day shipping with reduced manpower, thrust has come on combined deck and engine rating. For this DG Shipping has made it compulsory to run an integrated course for deck and engine ratings. The course is named as General Purpose Rating (G.P Rating).
GP Rating is trained in both, Deck and Engine Room duties. They can be employed in either Deck or Engine department according to the needs of the company. Ratings work on the ship involves seamanship activities, cargo handling, maintenance work, operation and maintenance of machinery.
In training period 200-300 $ and after training 800-1000 $.
Educational Qualification –
- 10th pass with English, Science & Mathematics subject from a recognized board, with not less than 40% in 10th.
- Should have passed with not less than 40% marks in English as a separate subject at either 10th or 12th standard.
(Salary $ 4000 – $5000)
(Salary $ 3000 – $4000)
After 36 Months Sea Experience Eligble to appear for 3rd Officer Exams
(Salary &2000 – &3000)
Joining as trainee OS $250 – 500, AB $500 – &800,
Bosun $ 1000 – $1600
After Passing CDC is issued by DG Shipping
which is required for employment
Joining 6 months GP Rating Course